Halloumi is great, but halloumi nuggets are even better. Halloumi has a high melting point, this makes it perfect for making nuggets because it turns nice and soft, but also keeps it’s shape. For you, the cheese lover at home! Here is an easy recipe of halloumi nuggets, you can try at home. These homemade halloumi nuggets are dipped in Panko breadcrumbs for an crispy finish. Dunk the Halloumi nuggets into a marinara sauce for great taste!
• 500 gr halloumi cheese, cut into large bite sized cubes
• 100 gr all purpose flour
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 115 gr panko bread crumbs
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Basil leaves, fry 4-6 seconds
How to Make Halloumi Nuggets:
1. Dredge cubes of halloumi into the flour, followed by the beaten eggs and finally the breadcrumbs.
2. Transfer prepared nuggets to a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack.
3. Pour oil into a large skillet and preheat.
4. In batches, carefully add piece to the oil and fry for about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Transfer all halloumi nuggets to a platter, garnish with fried basil and serve with marinara sauce.
For Marinara Sauce:
• 400g Chopped Tomatoes
• 1/4 medium Onion, finely diced
• 1 clove of Garlic, finely diced
• 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
• 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
• 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
• 1/2 tsp Sugar, or to taste
• Salt & Pepper, to taste
• Oil, for frying
• Chilli Flakes (optional)
How to Make Marinara Sauce:
1. Heat up a little oil, fry your onions over medium heat. Add your garlic and fry until it begins to brown.
2. Pour in your tomatoes and balsamic vinegar and bring to a simmer.
3. Add in your basil, oregano, sugar, chilli flakes and salt & pepper (to taste) and stir to combine.
4. Simmer for a good 10-15 mins until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.